Many people struggle with how to buy a smartphone. It can be a daunting task due to the number of brands available in the market. Each manufacturer will shout about what makes their phones so good, and the first time shopper can face some serious confusion. We will give you a quick guide on what to consider when shopping for a smartphone.
· What Do You Want or Need
Since you are the one who will be using the phone, it only makes sense that you know what your needs are. Do you, for example, want one with a larger screen? Will you use it a lot for storage purposes, thus requiring sufficient space? Do you need a good camera because you are a budding or professional photographer?
It helps if you have a list so that you can organize yourself well.
· Decide On the Operating System
The two main operating systems are iOS or Android. They are both easy to use, and you get a lot of functionality including the ability to download apps. However, with Android, you have a more extensive option at different price points. You also get Customisation options and have various features such as Gmail, Google Maps, Google Docs, among others. You also have the Google virtual assistant.
The iOS platform is secure, and you get access to high-quality apps. If you have some experience using an iPad or MacBook, then this would be the best option for you. You also have access to a wide variety of iPhones at different price points.
· Shop Around
Since you already have a list of the things you would want on your phone, it will make it much easier for you to shop around. You must also take the time to use the resources available to you to find out more about the phone you want to buy. There is o much information available on the internet, and it will give you a better understanding of some of the features.
When you walk into a shop, it pays to listen to what the attendants have to say. You must remember that their job is to sell, and they may use marketing language to try and sway your decision. Stick to your list, and if possible, bring along someone who knows phones so that they can help you choose the right one.
· Think About the Design
Smartphones come in designs, and it will depend on what you want. If you want a phone that you can use with only one hand, it will mean that it cannot be a very big size. You also have those that have front and back glass covers, they look very attractive but are very fragile, and you will have to keep on wiping off the smudges.
· Screen Size
Pick a comfortable screen size for you. Some of the things you can use to guide your decision are what kind of applications you want to put your phone to. If you are reading a lot of stuff on your mobile phone, then you should pick a bigger screen size. If you use your mobile phone to shop online, you may want one that makes it easy for you to read the product descriptors, and comfortably use the different buttons on the website.
For really Sharp resolution, go for one that is 1080p and above. You should also opt for an OLED screen because you get better contrast. You should, however, note that they are more expensive than the phones with the standard LED display.
How well the phone performs will depend on the RAM and processor. Look for a phone that has at least 4GB RAM if you are on the Android platform. Phones operating on the iOS system have a different way of managing the memory so you not have to worry too much about RAM space.
The phone developers should give you access to updates so that you are always up-to-date with the latest technology.
· Other Features to Consider
- Camera– Smartphones are fantastic in that they have cameras. You can use them whether you are a budding or established photographer. The higher the megapixels, the better the camera performance.
- Bloatware – hobbled all bloatware can make the experience of using your phone very unpleasant. You will find some carriers who will block certain features or default changes. They will also have so many apps that you may not be able to uninstall. It may impact on the proper running of your phone, so you must be careful about this.
- Battery life – most phones do not keep battery charge for very long, but you should look for one that will give you more extended usage. Factors such as resolution, screen size, and the software will have an impact on the capacity of your battery.
- Storage – Smartphone’s come with inbuilt store ranging from 8 to 64 GB. The more the storage, the better. You can also get extra storage through a microSD card. You will, however, not be able to use a micro SD card onto an Apple phone.
- Durability – how long you keep the phone depends on how you use it. Protect the screens with a screen protector or a phone case. Be careful about exposing it to water or dust because it may interfere with the phone. With new technology, you will find some completely water-resistant phones. The more water-resistant, the higher the price point.
- Customer reviews– check out the customer reviews because they are the best place to check if you want an honest opinion. Pay due attention to some of the things they point out as weaknesses of the particular phone. You will save yourself a lot of trouble by taking some time to check out the reviews. With the online platform, you have the information easily accessible.
The best way to shop for a smartphone is to understand what your requirements are, develop a list, and then buy accordingly.